Friday, November 6, 2009

Development of a UT Football Fanatic - Part 2

The week leading to the UT vs Arkansas Shootout was a blast. My parents allowed me to answer the phone differently that week. I was normally supposed to answer the phone "Prentice residence, Camille speaking". That week I got to change the way I answered the phone and I used "Beat Arkansas, Camille speaking". My parents also took me to the UT Pep Rally. There were so many people there in Memorial Stadium or at least it seemed like it to a 9 year old. The spirits were high, the team was pumped and everyone was ready to beat the Razorbacks. By then I knew the words to the "Eyes of Texas" and the "Texas Fight Song". I had a blast that night.

As we were leaving the stadium and walking on the track, Darrell Royal came up behind me and patted me on my favorite UT windbreaker. You have to realize that by this time I knew he was my hero. He was the coach at the time for the Longhorns and is still a legend there today as well in all of college football. After that pat on the back, I would not let my mother wash the jacket for a very long time. I was in heaven.

The rest of the week was full of anticipation. We prepared food for the watching party and waited for Saturday to arrive. Come back for the next posting to hear about the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment